Communication is the process of transmitting meaningful information from one person to the other. An effective communication takes place when the sender’s intended message reaches the receiver in the same form with the same meaning.
Be it an informal environment or a business environment, effective communication is very important. But communication is not only about just speaking and the other person hearing. It’s a way more complicated than that. The process involves:
- Sender- one who sends the message
- Message- the information to be conveyed
- Medium- the mode through which message is sent. For example, verbal, electronic, in writing and the like.
- Receiver-the person to whom the message is sent
- Feedback- the response the receiver sends or the action he performs after receiving the message.
There are different forms of communication:
- Verbal- In this form words are spoken by a person and heard by the receiver.
- Non-Verbal- In this form words are not included, rather actions and gestures.
- Written- As the name suggests, the conversation is in writing either in paper or any electronic medium.
For the communication to be strong and well conveyed, it should follow a few rules. The ABC of communication is very important while we are trying to convey our message:
- A (Accuracy)- The content you want to convey should be correct in facts and figures. Incorrect content challenges the credibility of your work. So be it presenting an official presentation or working upon your homework answers, accuracy is very important in conversation.
- B (Brevity)- Your content should be to the point. You should not be beating about the bush while trying to convey a single fact, therefore brevity is very important while you are conversing. Try to express yourself in minimal words which would in turn appeal to the audience. Long and tiring speeches draws the audience attention away from you.
- C (Clarity)- Again an important aspect for important communication. The message you are trying to convey should be clear in its form and content. Clarity increases the readability of your work and makes the content more understandable.
Therefore while communicating in any form you must keep this ABC of communication in your mind. This would in turn enhance your message.
Along with this ABC of communication, there are 7Cs that are again an indelible part for effective communication to happen. These 7Cs form an important part of business communication but they are also important in case of normal conversations as well.
They would help you to appeal to your boss while making a presentation, or presenting in school, talking to the audience, conversing with your friends and even while working on your homework answers.
- Completeness- While having a conversation, your message should be complete. It establishes sense in your communication as well as satisfies the receivers clearing all their doubts. Completeness also means that you address all the questions that you think might arise in the minds of your readers.
- Conciseness- As the word itself suggests, your content should be brief. You must avoid long sentences and repetition of points. Repetition may suggest that you yourself are not clear about the points thus one must avoid it. Keep only the relevant information and this will keep the reader or listener engaged in your content.
- Consideration- In this case the writer or speaker must focus on you rather than I. It means that you must keep your listener or reader in mind. Show a sense of consideration of your readers while writing this would in turn give them a sense of warmth and engage you more into the conversation.
- Concreteness- This means that your content should be strong enough to convince the readers. This can be achieved by including relevant facts and figures. Also use active voice to make your content concrete.
- Clarity- As discussed above clarity of content is mandatory for effective communication. The words you are using should be well defined and sentences well structured. You should be clear in your mind in order to convey velar thoughts to your readers. In this case too one must avoid writing or speaking long sentences. This may mislead and confuse the reader.
- Correctness- It is important to note that your content is correct in mention of facts and figures and other such research works as you do in research paper writings. Use correct vocabulary avoiding spelling errors. Follow the correct grammar rules and structures and absolutely avoid spelling errors.
- Courtesy- This point is very important especially when you are writing or speaking on controversial topics. Courtesy means that you must use humble language to address your view. Don’t use negative expressions. While you consider the perspectives of others, you must also keep in mind their feelings. Write or speak in a way that your words don’t hurt the sentiments of others. In case you are responding to comments or opinions, you must do that too in a humble manner.
Communication is a part of our day to day life. Effectively communicating means conveying your thoughts clearly to the intended person. An error in communication may result in undesirable consequences. In fact clear, concise and swift communication forms a basis of effective communication. Even in business, effective internal and external communication leads to the success of the business. If the right words are communicated to the right person in the right manner, it could result in success of the business, while vice versa could harm the business. In fact even when you are working on research paper writing, another important work, your research should be effectively communicated. And if you consider these points while writing your work would give fruitful results.